Monday, March 5, 2012

Dylan Farr - Dating Identity

So the design idea that I’ve chosen for this final project stems primarily from a lack of any real dating experience. I’ve had friends come to me in the past looking for help with their relationship or with juvenile attempts to seduce someone of the opposite sex. Mostly out of frustration and partially because I find it funny I started narrowing my answers or suggestions to simply “Kidnap.” It generally should shut my friends up who were hounding me for advice I couldn’t provide and gave me a decent amount of entertainment.

To clarify, I by no means really believe that anyone should perpetrate a kidnapping under any circumstances. The notion, however, of someone attempting to win others affection through an obsessive and clearly deranged illegal act I find incredibly amusing. For my project I want to capture my irritation with my friends’ constant nagging along with the dark/ludicrous nature of kidnap as a reasonable response.

My target audience for this kind of piece would definitely be a young-adult population. I wouldn’t necessarily want to expose this kind of design to children of an impressionable age, nor to an older population who might find it offensive or in bad taste. I think young adults might be able to see some of the humor behind the picture and maybe even relate to pesky friends who quite frankly – won’t shut the hell up.

I want to approach this design from a minimalistic approach. With each assignment I’ve wanted to attempt a different type of design strategy and to get a better idea for what my strength’s and weaknesses are. I intend to implement the use of photography with minimal altercation to the images. I want a lot of white space and more typography. I’d like to take out any illustrative qualities that I inevitably add to my images. This isn’t to say that I dislike the style that I attempt to bring to the table but instead that I find it to be a bit of a crutch at times. I will be implementing a geometric grid. I want this advertisement to imply a sort of seriousness that could not be taken seriously by the ration but might generate the double take or reevaluation. Just to make sure I’m joking.

While I definitely think I’m taking somewhat of a risk approaching this topic from this perspective (for all I know kidnap is a very sensitive area for some young adults). I think for those who can look past the abrasiveness of my joke and appreciate it for what the design truly is which is ludicrous. I should be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment