Monday, March 5, 2012

Holloman - Dating Identity - Idea

For this project, I want to do something more general rather than personal. The idea that I came up with is to take all of the tips and tricks provided to girls by magazines (i.e. Cosmopolitan) that are supposed to be helpful when it comes to dating, relationships and other topics. I think a lot of these articles are misleading to girls/women because they over generalize guys' behavior and make it seem like guys are one in the same and every trick will work on every guy. For girls that actually rely on magazine's like this for dating and relationship advice, I feel like it can go very wrong very fast. These advice articles tell you how to act, what to say, where to go in order to impress a guy, they tell you things that he'll do that clue you in to what he's thinking about and so on. While some of these articles might have merit and might be helpful, most just advertise changing how you would normally act in order to impress a date, which if you're honestly looking for someone that you share interests with, get along with and could see yourself in a relationship with, behaving as a magazine tells you to isn't your true personality and won't be useful in trying to find someone you connect with.

I find most of the articles that are supposed to be helpful to actually be ridiculous and unnecessary. If someone were to follow all of these tips, they'd go mad trying to remember what to do in each situation, what to wear, what to talk about etc. etc.

My idea is to find some of the most ridiculous article titles and compile them onto one magazine cover showing the worst of the worst. I would then create a second cover that would compare them in some light. I'm thinking something comedic but also pointing out the sheer craziness in some of these ideas. This is the part that I haven't fully come up with yet, so I'd be open to possible suggestions if anybody understands where I'm going with this.




This is kind of the layout I would end up with, the two covers placed right next to each other. On the left would be the cover with real article titles actually published in the magazine or on their website and the right cover would be my version whose specific content is yet to be decided.

Some article titles that I've found already to possibly include:

- 50 Quick Tricks to feel Sexier Instantly
- Flatten Your Belly: Bikini, We're Coming For You!
- 8 Things Guys Notice About You Instantly
- What He's Secretly Thinking On Your First Date
- What To Say To A Guy You Just Met

and many more.


After typing all this out I realize that this idea is definitely in progress and I definitely need to work more on it more and finalize specific details...

No comments:

Post a Comment