Thursday, March 1, 2012

Identity Paper

My name is Camri Hundman and for Project 2 I chose to do a six series piece on dance, which was a huge part of my life growing up. I titled the series “Giving Up.” I chose this title because I feel as the years went by I slowing started giving up on my dream of dancing. I created the six pieces in Adobe illustrator and they measure 8x8 inches. The six pieces consist of blue, yellow, pink and grey tones with silhouettes of ballerinas and text that spells different descriptive words.

I danced for 13 years and when I got to high school I decided to quite because it was consuming my life. I wanted to enjoy other parts of my life and have some free time. I ended up running track and cross-country in high school and still had extra free time. This would have been impossible if I was still dancing.

I started the series off with three colored pieces; blue, pink and yellow with words that I associate with dance and showed beautiful ballet poses. As the piece continues they turn to a light greyish color and the ballerina shown slowing falls off the page. The last 2 are the darkest grey and by the end the ballerina is barely shown on the page. This is meant to be representational of how I slowly quit ballet. I began to realize it was taking over and contemplated stopping until finally I ended up deciding to quit.

I sometimes have regrets especially when I go to Broadway shows and see all the dancers. That is when I miss it most. But ultimately quitting was the right decision for me. I feel the series accurately shows the process I went through when I decided to slowly stop dancing. When they turn to greyish tones it shows the sadness I felt when stopping and how it was pretty life changing to all of sudden have this big part of my life disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment