Thursday, January 19, 2012

Dre Sanchez - Inspiration: Child Labor + Mary Blair

Unfortunately, I was unable to rework any designs to the computer just yet - but I think a lot of you saw some of my designs on child labor the other day.

Thank you to everyone who gave me feedback. It is very much appreciated. I think it's critical to hear what you all think, as it allows for better idea generation in the next phase.

Anyways, I wanted to share the art of Mary Blair - a noted Disney illustrator and graphic designer during the glory days. Her artwork was a heavy influence to the "small world" Disney ride. Anyways, I love her work because - it's graphic, simple, abstract in some cases, and her use of color is incredible. In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say her color theory is probably the best I've seen in any genre.

That said, I posted these images up because her work suggests a playful innocence. For my project on child labor, I would love to be able to juxtapose her design sensibilities with the gritty realism of the sinister word I spoke about the other day. Obviously, I will try to embark on a piece of work that's not too illustrative - but I just wanted you all to get a glimpse of the research and thought process going behind my piece.

Okay, too much talk... Ready for an image overdose? Heh heh heh...
















































No comments:

Post a Comment