Sunday, January 15, 2012

McLuhan-Fiore, Massaging the Message

I personally have never heard of the book The Medium is the Massage so a lot of this information was new to me. There were very few recognizable names both for critics and the artists who were involved in the books production. This being my first experience with this content I was thoroughly interested in Fiore and McLuhan’s difficulty in getting to book published. I found it surprising that the book was met with such opposition from publishers because of its lack of text. I wouldn’t necessarily find a lack of textual information to be to any book’s detriment but that was clearly not the sentiment held by these publishers. The time constraints with which this book was produced also made me wonder if their minimalist approach to textual information stemmed from necessity or from a preconceived vision. I find it shocking that someone would have even attempted to put together a book under such limited time constraints unless they had some sort of completed image or plan in mind. Ultimately I was impressed with not only the presentation, but also the message that was conveyed by this innovative piece of work.

The image I selected I felt closely related to the content of The Medium is the Massage using the two-page magazine spread adds more emphasis to an image that would otherwise suffer in a more condensed format.



No comments:

Post a Comment