Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Becky Holloman - Identity Project

Identity Project:

Ethnicity:

Mother’s Side: Bohemian, German, Norwegian
Father’s Side: Irish, English, and many others (Heinz 57, if you will)

Religion:

Family: Christian, but it is not a number 1 priority in our household
Personal: I don’t really identify with any sort of religious affiliation, because in truth, I’m not sure what I believe in.

Holidays:

No specific religious holidays, because as I mentioned, religion is not a huge importance in my family. As a family we celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving and Birthdays and acknowledge others but don’t celebrate them.

Tension:

As far as I know, no one in my family has ever been harassed for their ethnicity, religion, sexual preference or anything else.

Friends:

I have many friends that cross all different sorts of barriers, ethnic, religious, gender, etc.


At first I was at a loss as to how I would approach this project, but after seeing the questions provided as a stepping stone, I started thinking about how as far as some things that people identify with (religion and ethnicity being the main two) I don’t have that. I don’t identify with a religion and religion has never been a main importance to me or my family. Obviously I have an ethnic background, but nothing that is so important where we celebrate holidays or identify with it. I believe that there is a lot more that makes up my identity than just ethnic, religious, or cultural backgrounds and I want to explore that in my project.

The idea that I have been toying with so far would be a geometric piece. I really liked the example that was shown in class with the use of google maps. My project would not be using location or hairstyles in anyway, but I’ve been contemplating ideas on what I would include.

No comments:

Post a Comment