Monday, February 6, 2012

My Worst Job-Final

Camri Hundman
My Worst Job Essay
D. Wilber
2/7/12

My name is Camri Hundman and my worst job was working at a restaurant. I especially remember having to wash dirty dishes and found it to be the most disgusting part of my job. I chose my deconstructive piece for my final and titled it “Pile of Dishes” because it’s the fitting title for what I had to deal with. It is a digital design done in Illustrator, which was then printed into a physical copy for the final.
The piece was all done in Illustrator like I mentioned above. I originally created three pieces following the geometric structure, deconstructive structure, and integrative structure. I felt my deconstructive piece was the most successful and accurate pretrial of what I hated most about my job. The specific subject I used for the three pieces was my worst job of working at a restaurant and how boring and repetitive it truly was which I tried to convey in my pieces. I used simple colors and shapes with little detail but used different typefaces around the plates which overlapped and made it a deconstructive piece.
The final piece, which is Deconstructive, has a mixture of typefaces and overlapping images, which are elements commonly found in Deconstructive work. However, the piece also as a few elements found in Geometric structure such as simple color fields, few elements, and seemingly simple. This work shows my personality mostly because of the simplicity. I enjoy creating working work that is clean, simple and pleasing to the eye. I also tried to emphasize the repetition of what I had to do at my job which again was washing dishes.
I felt overall there were many successful pieces in the class. They all seemed to be different and unique and convey different messages. I think each person responds differently to each piece and I hope mine gets the message I was going for. I was not using any particular designer for inspiration for these pieces. I just started creating simple shapes then turned them into pieces related to working in a restaurant. For future pieces I may do research on designers and find one that I think imitates my simplistic style.
The purpose for my three pieces was to show one of the things you have to do when working at a restaurant. Even though normally you would think of washing dishes as being very messy I chose to go for a more minimal pieces that still gives the illusion of having a big pile of dishes to wash. Rather then the piece being very realistic to what you would actually see I showed only a few elements and let the imagination fill in the rest. I think my final piece is successful because it conveys what I wanted viewers to see and that is washing dishes. Everyone may not view the piece the same way but I think that is what makes it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment