Saturday, February 4, 2012

Worst Job FINAL BeccaKang


My final pieces for the “Worst Job” project consist of four pieces that adhere to the guidelines of a geometric, deconstructive, and integrative design. My project is geared towards all the other hostesses and servers of brunch restaurants who develop a sarcastic attitude towards the general public that frequent our workplaces. Working long, busy hours will do that to you.
For my first piece, entitled “Bloody Mary”, I chose an integrative approach. I include repetition of the elements of a bloody mary: cup, ice, lemons, olives, celery, and the red color. I also include repetition of the typeface ­– Clarendon ST – in a dialogue. I chose Clarendon for its thick strokes and somewhat decorative nature to bring out a little more character and attitude (I didn’t think a san-serif font would be as effective). The first line of dialogue comes from a customer while the following line of dialogue is a thought that fleets across the mind of the waitress. I also repeat the image of the entire bloody mary cup and the empty to emphasize the difference in the customer’s cup and the waitress’s cup. I paid great attention to the leading and kerning of the type as well as size proportions. I kept the background white and simple to play off the subtle negative spaces the characters create.
My second piece, entitled “Prosciutto”, was an attempt at a geometric design. I wanted to play with the rule of thirds and it does adhere to some guidelines such as the three elements placed in a rule of thirds composition. However, I feel it isn’t my strongest piece. I traced over all of the pieces of prosciutto to add dimensionality to the piece. I chose the color green for the background because the restaurant I worked at had played with muted colors of green and purple. I kept everything else white and clean. I chose Didot for the heading and Avenir for the body type. The piece is supposed to look like a menu description and image of a menu item. However, the body type speaks with a sarcastic attitude towards the many people who come to restaurants and are not truly concerned with what exactly they are eating. This is also based on an experience I’ve had before.
My third piece in this series is called “Alcoholic Brunch”. I chose to go with a deconstructive design where I took many elements of the bloody mary and repeated them in various ways to create a texture and pattern. I obscured much of the text so that its not necessarily meant to be read but perceived as thoughts. They are actually thoughts that would run through my head during a busy brunch shift. I created the color palette as bright and happy as an ironic statement about how unhappy and dull my shifts hungover felt like. I really thought the layering of opaque images helped create a successful piece.
This is my last piece that I chose to create because I wanted to play on another dish/menu item. It’s called “Modifiers”. I find that at most restaurants I go to, customers modify salad dishes all the time. One modification doesn’t really bother me but I felt as though it was strange to pay $12 for a salad that only consisted of lettuce, dressing, and maybe some corn. I feel as though people are willing to waste their money sometimes for something as simple as a salad. I traced and repeated lettuce, carrot slices, chopped tomatoes, red onions, corn, and radishes all over as the background. I chose to go to Rockwell for my type choice. Then with the same attitude, I wrote exactly how I feel when people order modified salads. 






3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becca, your work is really gnarly. I don't know which of your pieces I prefer more, as they are all expertly done. Your deconstructed Bloody Mary piece is excellent though, very trippy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooo obsessed with your first piece. It came such a long way from the first time seeing it. I really like how you incorporated the olives and made the bloody marry look way more like a bloody marry. Great Job!! The second glass u added is great too... I did not notice it at first but maybe if u bring up the opacity a little bit it will be noticed a bit more! the way you used images for letters is awesome. I love it. I want a poster of that to hang in my room hahaha.

    ReplyDelete