Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Emily Iammarino - Worst Job: Final




Emily Iammarino

Worst Job: Red Mango

Final: Geometric & Deconstructive

For my worst job project I chose to focus on my job at Red Mango. I typically liked my job at Red Mango, but what made it the worst was the fact that it was completely empty for half of the day. I was constantly bored out of my mind, standing behind the counter waiting for people to come in and buy the damn yogurt. The job also required me to do boring tasks as well, like cutting fruit for two hours straight. So, between these two boring aspects of the job I decided to create two representations of them by using a geometric and a deconstructive approach.

My final two pieces for this project both center around how my job at Red Mango were boring, but they manage to represent the concept in two different ways thanks to the grid structures. The geometric structured one is a representation of how I was disappointed that my summer job was so boring. I originally thought it was going to be fun, like the image of the frozen yogurt, but instead it ended up being boring and plain like the text and layout of the piece. My deconstructive piece shows how my job was boring due to the mundane feeling of endlessly cutting fruit. When I was completing this task I would often zone out, get drowsy, and lose track of time. All of those emotions were channeled into this piece in a very layered and complicated way. By stripping down all the elements of my deconstructive piece the audience will be able to get a sense of how I was feeling when I would slowly lose my mind while endlessly cutting fruit.

The audience for my project would most likely be people who are around my age, students, who understand the boring and annoying process of working a mundane, hourly job. When the audience looks at my project I would like them to be able to feel the same emotions as I did while I worked there. Even though both of the pieces are so different in style, I hope that my audience will also be able to see them as a cohesive piece as well. It’s a difficult connection to make, but I think that the similar illustrative style can help tie the to pieces together in order for my audience to make a connection.

The goal of my project was to successfully display a sense of boredom without having to sacrifice the use of exciting visuals. It was difficult for me to keep my geometric piece so simple because it was my instinct to add more elements to make it more visually pleasing. So, to balance this problem, I made my illustrative work more fun and inviting. For my deconstructive piece, I still have boredom as the core of my concept, but I expressed it through repetition and literary elements. Overall, I think I have accomplished my goal for project one.

No comments:

Post a Comment