Monday, February 6, 2012

Worst Job Final -LeoS







Worst Job Design


My worst job ever was my internship in London. I made two final images for this project, a deconstruction piece that displayed more of my person aesthetic. The other image was a geometric piece that better displayed the agony of the job. It was a clear grid with circular repetitions. I did the photography myself which I think made both pieces stronger and more personal. I put the two pieces into a combined title named Watching Your Commute to Heart Disease to add a bit of humor to the pieces. I think there is already a subtle hint of humor in both images due to my stature and demeanor. The title ties into that subtlety.

The medium of both pieces are digital works. I incorporated text and my own photography into both pieces. The main subject in the deconstruction piece is myself, and I think one could argue that in my geometric piece that I share the main subject title with the repetitious background. I think the simplicity makes the geometric piece stand out. I think the other thing that makes the geometric image strong is how iconic the London tube logo is. Not even the logo, but the font is famous in the United Kingdom as well, probably all over Europe actually. The London Underground is a famous piece of architecture and transportation. It is a proud symbol in London and the image of the tube sign is truly iconic to that geographical location. By changing the words which has obviously been done before, it instantly transports the viewer to that location, even if they have never visited London before.

I bring the experience of working in London, and not only working in London but for a very important part of their culture which is their health care system. I had such a structured, organized, and clean mental picture of the NHS (National Health Service) before I visited London. It was truly shocking to me to see how unorganized the company was. That was where a lot of my frustration stemmed from and I think it comes through in both of my images. I went out of my normal aesthetic in the geometric piece which I found a bit difficult. I usually create darker, black and white images such as my geometric piece. I like putting images together and creating a more ambiguous meaning in correlation to my content. So creating the three grids was a real challenge for me.

My intent was to display my sort of dry humor and distain for the company. I wanted to use my darker aesthetic in some way and I wanted to convey it through the lens of something iconic with London. I think I completed all of these goals and I am happy with my final results. From the comments in class, people seem to have a strange attraction to the deconstructive piece. I think seeing a face is always compelling in some way, and because it is a little ambiguous, it makes the viewer stare at it a bit longer compared to the other pieces. The strength of the pieces is the use of an iconic English image, the weakness is that I did not change my outfit for the different grids to change the context, but I still think they are both strong overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment