Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Unorganized Thought Process


Paul K

Unorganized Thought Process


This piece is called Unorganized Thought Process by Paul Kwiecinski. It is a deconstructive piece which also incorporates geometric elements. To make this piece, I used Adobe Photoshop CS 5.5, Adobe Illustrator, and a few iPhone apps.

This piece is best viewed online, as I worked with the color space to look best when viewed on a computer or web browser. Though I did print it, it is not optimized for print, nor have I ever actually printed my work before, so there’s a first for everything. I mounted the print on a piece of black mounting board using spray glue by Elmers. For this piece, well, you can say I never really planned it out, which is funny if you consider the context.

I started out with a film strip, wanting to make a geometric piece. I started putting text in the film, and ended up with words describing how the film was made. That was boring for me though, so I made another row of film strips. I then started putting more or less random words in, until I had a whole page and about 60 layers of text. I decided to go with what goes through my head when film making on top, and what is supposed to go though your head when making a film on the bottom. Pretty much, I was saying I’m incredibly unorganized. I then played around with the text a little, added some overlays and layer effects, and then decided to put a brain on the top middle layer to show that this layer is all about my own thoughts and how I think.

I chose to make the top layer very deconstructive. I love deconstructive images, but they cant just be random and all over the place. I like messy, but also neet and proportioned. I’m all about proportions, and everything needs to be perfect. I made a lot of use of the rulers, and used a lot of boundaries when deciding what to put where. As for influences, I don’t think I have any I could name off the top off my head. I guess you can say I’m influenced by everything around me, but also nothing in particular.

I haven’t studied graphic design, nor have I ever taken a graphic design or even a Photoshop course, so most of what I produce in this class is just done with my imagination and absolutely no foundations or principles. What I thought worked so well with this piece, is that is was organized, but also very messy, which describes me really well. Everything I do makes sense in my own head, but getting others to understand what exactly goes on in my mind is rather difficult. What didn’t work to well was the printing process, something about my output or resolution made the print grainy. It looked great on my screen though, so ill have to ask you about that later. I really enjoyed working on this piece though. The process went quite smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment