Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Lisa Armstrong - Project 2



As far as I know I am a mixture of German, Scottish, Welsh, and French.

I grew up going to various protestant Christian churches. Both of my parents were raised in Baptist churches, my dad in Southern Indiana and my mom in Bloomington, IL. If I were to identify myself in any religious way now I would say that I am agnostic.

I associate Christmas, Thanksgiving and birthdays with being around close friends and family, cooking together and eating together.
           
There have been times when I have felt prejudged as a female and as someone with dark features. People have made the assumption that I’m Middle Eastern, Hispanic, Greek and Italian

I would say that I’ve identified myself and been identified by others as artistic. My occupation is a bit less structured and a little more creative than those of my sisters. My oldest sister is a neonatal nurse and my other sister works at a group home for teenage girls while she works toward her EMT license. 

I would say that most of my friends are hybrids of various ethnic backgrounds and that all of their religious backgrounds and sexual orientations vary as well. I kind of think it is rare to meet someone that isn’t a cultural mix of one thing or another.





^ My grantparents ^
^ Max and Linda (i.e. my parents) ^

I plan to devote a page to each individual member of my family. Each page will have found photographs, illustrated ornamentation, typed nameplates, and handwritten narratives about each person and the ways in which they have influenced my identity. 
I plan to include my sisters, my brother, my parents and both of their parents in this piece. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment