Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Worst Job Final - Kevin McCaughey






My 'WORST JOB' project evaluates the experience I had working at a pizza/hot hoagies joint in Minneapolis, called Davanni's. It was my first job, during my senior year of high school. I had been needing job experience, worrying that without any sort of work ethic I'd somehow fall behind in achieving success in future job prospects. So I figured it'd be easy just to pop a resume down the corner at the local pizza shop. It was a real easy job, but the work did come with a lot of bullshit. Dealing with impatient customers who resided in the completely deluded yuppy suburb where the shop was nestled in the middle of. Some co-workers were nice and helpful, some were total freaks in which the restaurant seemed to be their prime source of culture- their social club, something I wanted nothing to do with. So at the joint I was a bit of an outcast, trying not to be interested in their pizza babbles, but I watched and listened to all the shit they'd stir up and still laugh to this day.
All three compositions are created using a 100% analoge method, simply just using scissors and glue in conjunction with the Xerox copy machine. The lo-fi aesthetic that comes from handling the copy machine brings out dark malignant textures that seem to express the bit of insanity I experienced during my time at Davanni's.
My first composition, the integrative piece is refering to a few of our frenzied customers, who would crumple up their faces and scream like toddlers when their pizza wasn't out of the oven on time, or a mistake was in their order. The funniest is when old grampas would lose their shit over an missing topping on their pie- most of my co-workers were my age or younger so it's easier to imagine that these mistakes would happen more than not.
My geometric piece attempts to show all the 'bullshit' that goes into creating each pie- aggressive customers harassing through the phone, the greedy little pigs that would stay in the restaurant for hours and make an excruciating mess, mopping up the chunks of tomato sause that would stuck behind the most miserable corner of the room etc. So I'm just trying to express all the 'hardship' that went to creating your little 8 dollar pizza pie.
My deconstructive piece just came as a clusterfuck of random images/words I remember from wearing that apron. Thought it came out looking real wyld.

No comments:

Post a Comment